Forbidden City Maps
The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming Dynasty to the end of the Qing Dynasty for almost five centuries. Located in the very heart of Beijing, China, it is now most commonly known in Chinese as Gùgugong (Palace Museum). Built from 1406 to 1420 and surrounded by a 52-meter-wide moat, the imperial complex consists of 980 surviving buildings with 8,707 bays of rooms and covers an area of 72 hectares. The Forbidden City exemplifies traditional Chinese palatial architecture and in 1987 it was listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, declared as the largest collection of preserved ancient wooden structures in the world. Get to know much more about the imperial Palace Museum and then enjoy the Beijing tours including the site.
Why to visit Forbidden City
- You can appreciate the magnificent traditional palace architecture, enjoy the treasures kept in the palace.
- Learn of the legends and anecdotes about the imperial family and the court.
- enjoy a visual feast of 5,000 years of traditional Chinese art.
Tourist sites in Forbidden City
- Palace of Tranquil Longevity(Ning Shou Palace)
- Palace of Abstinence
- Hall of Supreme Harmony
- Palace Turret
- Hall of Mental Cultivalion (Yangxindian)
- Well of Concubine Zhen
- East Six Palaces
- West Six Palaces
- Treasure Gallery
- Clock Gallery
Tips for travelling the Forbidden City
- Bags can be deposited free of charge at the Meridian Gate (Wumen) and Gate of Divine Might (Shenwu Men) from 8:30 to 18:00 or taken with you after going through a security check.
- Wheelchairs & Strollers are available from the tour guide service at the Meridian Gate (Wumen) and Gate of Divine Might (Shenwu Men), free of charge.
- Tourist Service Center is located at the Arrow Pavilion (Jianting)
|Address(English):||No. 4, Jingshan Front Street, Dongcheng District|
|How to get there:|
Tel: (+8610) 65132255
For an additional CNY20 or so, you can purchase an audio tour in one of many languages.This tour is world-class.The English version is done by Roger Moore (of James Bond fame). Together with some sound effects he expertly guides you through the complex.Worth every penny.
Map of Forbidden City
Forbidden City Travel Guide
Forbidden City Location and Surrounding Area
Detailed Map of the Forbidden City
Recommended Beijing Tour Itineraries
Are you planning to have a Beijing tour? Here we provide some most valuable Beijing tour packages for conference.
4 Days Classic Beijing Tour Package
6 Days In-depth Great Wall Experience Tour
12 Days Chinese Treasures Tour with Panda( Beijing / Xian / Guilin / Shanghai)
13 Days Classic China Tour with Yangtze Cruise( Beijing / Xian / Guilin / Yangtze Cruise / Shanghai)